1/16/2014

AN ODE TO: COCONUT OIL



Since January is my detox month, I tried to bring somewhat more organic and healthier food in my daily routine. One of the things I had only tried one time before, before it got thrown away by a roommate of mine.., is Coconut oil.

As you might (or might not) know, coconut oil is a magical product. You can use it for thousands of different things. Today I will list you my recommendations as of where to use its magical power for.

#1: The first, and probably most common use of this product, is to cook with. You can use it to fry and bake everything as a replacement for olive oil, wok oil or regular butter. The pro's are that Coconut Oil is much more healthier than any of the other greases to cook with. It is even said that upping you diet with some Coconut oil, will even help you loose weight.

#2: The second thing I use coconut oil for, is as a facial mask. I simply take out some oil and apply it with a cotton pad. I leave it on my skin for 10-20 minutes and than I rinse it off with lukewarm water. Afterwards I regularly cleanse my skin for a nice and soothing result. Be sure not to apply to much of it though. Coconut oil has a really low melting point, room temperature may even make your cream melt. Something just below room temperature will make your oil a solid substance again. Anyways, do not use too much, or you might find yourself with coconut oil dripping of your face.

#3: The third thing I use it for is as a moisturizer for my dry skin all over my body. Sometimes, when I really want to pamper my skin, I use it all over. If not, I just use a thin layer on my elbows and any other dry patches.

#4: Hand cream. Especially since the temperature is really beginning to look like the regular cold winter, my hands start to suffer from the cold and the rain. Result: extreme dry hands, dry nails etc. A thin layer of Coconut oil, solves these problems like no other hand cream. Be sure to use a thin layer.

#5: Cuticle cream. All those expensive little pots with 'cuticle oils', when pampering your hands with Coconut Oil, be sure to massage a bit into your cuticles as well. They will be soft and hydrated for at least 3 days.

#6: Facial moisturizer. Due to the winter weather, my skin is suffering from some dry patches. A teeny tiny thin layer of Coconut oil as a night cream works its magic on my skin.

#7: Hair mask. Apply a layer of coconut oil in the tips of you hair and let it stay in for a minute or 10. Then wash your hair, 2/3/4 times, and you'll have shiny and hydrated hair. Note: Only for really dry hair since rinsing out takes a lot of shampoo.

If you have any suggestions where to use it for that I have not mentioned above, let me know!
Are you convinced to get a huge pot of this magical product in your kitchen/bathroom?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten